Monday, May 19, 2008

Are you a member of this Exclusive Club?

PJ made a really good point this evening that when we give that knowing nod to other parents on the oncology ward, it feels like we're in this exclusive club..a club which none of us chose to be in and now we are, we need to deal with it and hope that once we leave it, we never want to re-join.

He also made a fantastic point that although Leo is having to go through this terrible journey but when we look around the other beautiful children on the same oncology ward, things could be worse. The awful situation of these other families totally put our journey into perspective and we both know that Leo can get through this.

Leo had dropped his haemoglobin as well as white blood cells so he's unable to fight infection as well as being anaemic. So he had a blood transfusion this evening which felt weird seeing someone else's blood making our son better. I used to give blood and will do so again for sure once I am able - I think I have to wait for six months to pass after my surgery before I can give blood again, but I will most certainly do it. I always thought the idea of giving blood was so simple - you go in, lie down, give blood, have a cup of tea and Rich Tea biscuit..and then go about your business. But I never gave any thought to what that act really means until today. Someone else's blood means our son can continue this journey and get better.

Thanks again for your support and keep your emails and cards coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment