Thursday, September 25, 2008

Long but Lovely Day

So Toddler Group for two hours, followed by Bristol traffic, followed by hospital for anti-biotics and blood, followed by lunch with my cousin, followed by shopping for PJ, more Bristol traffic (and alot of it), followed by some very cute painting, clay model making and a hand cast by Leo. An action-packed day and totally wonderful. I am absolutely tired beyond belief but it's been worth it, and you never know, I may actually sleep tonight!

When Leo headed to bed tonight, he said he had a present for me and proceeded to stroke my cheek and give me such a big hug. He then told PJ he'd have a lovely day and his favourite bit was painting with me this evening. I know every Mum thinks their child is a genius but seriously, Leo's drawings are simply awesome. Biased? Me? Never!!

Leo was fabulous at Toddler Group this morning. Much more chilled out than me as I panicked any time anything went near his mouth..like another child's teddy or another toy. He stayed quite close to me initially but very quickly strayed a bit further every few minutes. He kept looking back over his shoulder at me for reassurance but did really well. I had thought it would take time for his confidence to return. Better than me, for sure! I sat there like the 'billy-no-mates' I am, but finally struck up conversation for about the final 20 minutes. I did get the stares, as did Leo, as he took his cap off as soon as he was in the door; and I do think other mums and child-minders found it hard to start talking to me as it's difficult not to want to ask what's wrong with him. But then it's tricky to make small talk when there's such a huge topic of conversation you can just tell they want to ask!

Anyway, after the Group, Leo held my hand and walked the whole way home which is the longest he's walked without wanting to be picked up in over four months. Okay, so we're only talking about 800 metres but even so...that's a triumph. One small step for man, and all that! Perhaps because he felt relatively 'normal' for the first time in ages, he actually felt strong enough to walk home. In fact, I think he was quite proud of himself, as he should be.

Then it was back to the hospital for his final anti-biotic shot for the line infection. Back to the hospital tomorrow for a check-up on his bloods, the infection and also his right eye. It's still causing him serious problems; so much so, he's pretty much squinting constantly with it and complains about the lights being on in the house or car. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I met my cousin, Nicola, for lunch in Bristol's brand spanking new shopping mall today. Cabot Circus opened it's doors at 10am this morning and we headed there at lunchtime! Manic or what? Anyway, a lovely lunch was had by all and she even told me her plan to do the GRIM race in December which involves cold, wet mud, a difficult army assault course, running, dragging yourself through lakes of mud and then, a bit more mud....all in the name of raising funds for Leo to head to Disneyland Paris. What can I say? Thank you does not seem adequate...

Leo is so excited about seeing Buzz and Lightning McQueen and he definitely sees it as signalling the end of his treatment so it will be great to think we may be able to do it sooner rather than later with the help of this fundraising. I'll post a bit more about GRIM and perhaps how Nicola and my other cousin Donna (who's going to run through mud in December with her), plan to raise funds. It may be called GRIM but it will lift the spirits and heart of a very grateful young, brave boy. GRIM by name...certainly not grim by nature!

Have got to head to bed or else I may end up writing a 'War and Peace'-type posting!!

Tomorrow's a new day...

No comments:

Post a Comment