Sunday, June 01, 2008

"PJ to the rescue"

"PJ to the rescue", Leo screamed, as one of the boys staying at Clic House needed help getting down from the climbing frame in the garden today.

Just as I was about the leave the house to head down to spend the day at the hospital with Leo, PJ called to say that Leo was doing so well on his chemo, that he could come home! We were really pleased and surprised considering how poorly he had been last time. But we are not expecting it to be this 'easy' every IVA cycle. We're learning slowly, but definitely surely, that every day can and probably will be different so never expect things to continue as they are.

Leo and I have spent a lovely afternoon in the garden at Clic House and also out shopping with my parents, which was so good. Not that the shopping itself was good as it's a Sunday and therefore very busy; it was lovely because it's the furthest Leo and I have been away from Clic House and the hospital for weeks and weeks. It felt a tiny bit normal and gave us just an inkling of normality.

The only bit we found tricky (except for his high energy levels, but we're not complaining) are the stares from other children and adults alike. Due to Leo's hair now nearly being gone, he looks like your typical 'chemo-kid'! Although to look at him running around the shopping mall, the only thing which would make you think that is his hair loss...oh, and the red ties around his neck of his bag for his Hickmann line...oh, and the scar on his neck where they operated to put in the Hickmann!

I hope I was not one of those people who stopped and stared, or nudged their friend or mum when a child went by with no hair. I really hope I wasn't, but then I guess it's unusual to see a child with a bald head so you cannot blame people really. And I apologise to anyone if I did ever do that as I now know how it feels. Leo was not in the least bit bothered and so that's good. If he's happy, we're happy. I am not sure what I'd say to, or do for him if he was upset, but I guess you find the words if and when you need to. If his bald head were all we had to worry about, it would be fantastic.

Had a lovely card from Leo's best friend in Spain and it read;

Leo
I
Love
You

And then inside it said,

From
Jack

To which Leo replied,
"Jack's my brother and I want to go back to Spain to be with him".

You will, Leo. But not for a while.

I also had a voicemail this afternoon from an awesome long-standing friend of ours called Ian. It was a beautiful message and all the more so as Ian made the call despite having lost his mother recently. Our heart goes out to Ian and his amazing family, and as PJ and I have said privately before, if we can be half the parents that Ian and Trina are to their beautiful children, we'll be very proud.

We're certainly really blessed to have wonderful family and friends all over the world who are sending Leo their best wishes and prayers, and we do our best to ensure he understands you are saying hello to him every day. I am sure if he could type, he'd probably natter on as much as I do and give you lots and lots of thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment